As summer approaches, many of us start planning our vacations to exotic destinations, seeking respite from the daily grind. However, with the increasing popularity of staycations, more people are discovering the joy of spending quality time at home, especially in their own gardens. A staycation in your garden can be a delightful way to unwind, and with the right trees and shrubs providing cooling shade, you can create perfect spots to beat the summer heat. In this blog, we'll explore how to make the most of your garden for a relaxing staycation experience.
Nature's Shade: Embracing Trees and Shrubs
One of the best ways to ensure a comfortable staycation in your garden is to have trees and shrubs that offer ample shade. Not only do they provide a cool respite from the scorching sun, but they also add a touch of natural beauty to your surroundings. Trees and shrubs not only shield you from the heat but also create a serene and private atmosphere to enjoy your leisure time.
Three Tips for Plant Care in Summer:
- Water Wisely: During the summer, it's crucial to water your plants adequately. The best time to water is early morning or late evening when the sun is less intense, reducing water evaporation. Water the plants at the base to ensure the roots get enough moisture. Additionally, consider using a layer of mulch around plants to retain soil moisture and prevent weed growth.
- Pruning and Deadheading: Regular pruning helps keep plants healthy and promotes better airflow, which can prevent diseases during hot and humid weather. Deadheading, or removing spent flowers, encourages continuous blooming for flowering plants like roses and petunias throughout the summer.
- Appropriate Fertilization: To ensure your plants have the necessary nutrients for robust growth, apply a balanced fertilizer according to the specific needs of each plant. Be cautious not to over-fertilize, as excessive nutrients can lead to weaker plants and may attract pests.
Top Trees for Shade:
- London Plane (Platanus x acerifolia): A classic shade tree, the London Plane features large, maple-like leaves and a broad canopy that offers excellent shade. It's a hardy tree that adapts well to urban environments and can provide relief from the sun's rays during hot summer days.
- Weeping Willow (Salix babylonica): With its graceful, cascading branches, the Weeping Willow is a captivating tree that not only offers shade but also adds a touch of elegance to any garden. It prefers moist soil and can create a beautiful cool spot near a water feature.
- Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum): If you have a smaller garden space, the Japanese Maple is a fantastic option. It provides dappled shade with its delicate, lacy leaves and comes in various colours, adding visual interest to your garden.
Why Choose a Staycation?
While the allure of a holiday in far-flung destinations is undeniable, staycations offer unique advantages that make them an equally appealing choice. Here's why a staycation in your garden can be just as enjoyable, if not more, than a traditional vacation:
- Cost-Effective: Staycations save you the expenses of travel, accommodation, and dining out, allowing you to allocate your budget towards enhancing your garden experience.
- Relaxation and Convenience: Planning a vacation can be stressful, but with a staycation, you can simply step into your garden oasis whenever you need a break. There's no packing, airport queues, or long journeys involved.
- Connection with Nature: Embracing your garden during a staycation allows you to reconnect with nature, reduce stress levels, and appreciate the beauty of the outdoors, all while being in the comfort of your own space.
Elmwood Nursery and Garden Centre offers a fantastic selection of trees and shrubs perfect for creating shade in your garden. Additionally, they provide a range of beautiful summer-flowering plants to enhance the overall beauty of your outdoor sanctuary.