As the vibrant colors of summer slowly fade away, the autumn season presents a wonderful opportunity to breathe new life into your garden with beautiful autumn bedding plants. These seasonal gems add a burst of hues to your outdoor space, keeping it visually stunning even as the days grow shorter. In this blog, Elmwood Nursery and Garden Centre introduces you to the magic of autumn bedding plants, when to plant them, a top 5 selection, care tips, and how to maintain a colorful autumn garden.
When to Plant Autumn Bedding Plants
Autumn bedding plants are best planted during late summer or early autumn, depending on your region's climate. Planting them during this time allows the plants to establish their roots before winter sets in, ensuring a strong and healthy display once the autumn colors emerge.
Elmwood's Top 5 Autumn Bedding Plants
- Pansies (Viola x wittrockiana): Pansies are autumn favorites known for their cheerful faces and wide range of colors. They thrive in cooler temperatures and can withstand light frosts, making them perfect for brightening up your garden during the crisp autumn days.
- Ornamental Kale (Brassica oleracea): With their stunning foliage resembling rosettes of pink, purple, or white, ornamental kale adds a touch of elegance to any autumn garden. Their colors often intensify as the weather gets colder, making them even more captivating.
- Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum spp.): Chrysanthemums, or simply mums, are iconic autumn flowers available in a wide array of shapes and colors. From traditional yellows and oranges to deep purples and whites, mums create a show-stopping display of fall beauty.
- Heather (Calluna vulgaris): Heather plants bring a unique texture and color to autumn gardens. Their evergreen foliage and beautiful blooms in shades of pink, purple, or white create a stunning contrast against the changing backdrop of the season.
- Cyclamen (Cyclamen spp.): Cyclamen are charming, delicate flowers that thrive in cool weather. They offer a burst of color in shades of pink, red, or white and add a touch of elegance to pots, containers, or flower beds.
Creating a Colourful Autumn Garden with Bedding Plants
- Group Planting: Create eye-catching displays by grouping different autumn bedding plants together in clusters. Mix and match colors and textures to achieve a visually striking arrangement.
- Layering and Height: Plant taller bedding plants towards the back of borders or containers and gradually decrease the height towards the front. This layering effect adds depth and interest to your autumn garden.
- Contrast with Evergreens: Intersperse your autumn bedding plants with evergreen shrubs or foliage to create a year-round display of colors and textures, even as the seasons change.
Caring for Autumn Bedding Plants
- Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist, especially during dry periods. Avoid overwatering, as excess water can lead to root rot.
- Deadheading: Regularly remove faded flowers to encourage continuous blooming and keep the plants looking tidy.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced fertilizer during planting and follow up with occasional feedings to promote healthy growth and vibrant blooms.
Until When Will Autumn Bedding Plants Remain Beautiful?
Autumn bedding plants typically maintain their colorful display until the first hard frost. While some plants, like pansies and ornamental kale, can withstand light frosts, others, like chrysanthemums, may start to fade with the arrival of colder temperatures. However, with proper care, many autumn bedding plants can extend their beauty well into the season.
At Elmwood Nursery and Garden Centre, we offer a stunning selection of autumn bedding plants to transform your garden into a picturesque autumn haven. Embrace the beauty of this enchanting season and let your garden shine with the radiant colors of autumn!