As the leaves start to change and the air turns crisp, there's a certain magic in the garden that comes alive during autumn. Many gardeners may think of spring as the ideal time for planting, but autumn offers unique advantages. The cooler temperatures, moist soil, and reduced risk of drought make it an excellent season for establishing new plants. Moreover, the autumn planting allows plants to establish their roots before the winter chill sets in, giving them a head start in the following growing season.
Elmwood's Top 5 Autumn Garden Plants
At Elmwood Nursery & Garden Centre, we understand the beauty of autumn gardening, and we're delighted to share our top 5 Autumn Garden Plants with you. When selecting plants for your autumn garden, it's essential to consider factors such as hardiness, evergreen or deciduous nature, and whether they're flowering or non-flowering. This diversity ensures a visually appealing and thriving autumn garden.
- Japanese Maples (Acer palmatum): These deciduous trees offer stunning foliage that turns shades of fiery red, orange, and gold in the autumn. Their elegant and delicate leaves are a showstopper in any garden.
- Sedum 'Autumn Joy' (Hylotelephium spectabile): A hardy perennial, 'Autumn Joy' provides beautiful, rosy-pink flowers that transition to a rich copper hue as the season progresses. They attract pollinators and provide late-season nectar.
- Heuchera 'Palace Purple': This evergreen perennial boasts vibrant purple foliage that remains stunning year-round. Its small bell-shaped flowers add a touch of elegance to your autumn garden.
- Chrysanthemums: A classic choice for autumn, chrysanthemums come in a variety of colours and bloom late into the season. They offer a burst of vibrant hues, making them a perfect addition to your autumn landscape.
- Ornamental Grasses (e.g. Miscanthus and Pennisetum): These hardy grasses provide texture and movement to your garden, with their feathery plumes and striking foliage. They turn beautiful shades of gold and bronze in the autumn, adding warmth to your outdoor space.
Consider hardy garden plants
When planning your autumn garden, remember that some plants are hardy and can withstand colder temperatures, while others may need extra protection. Additionally, some plants are evergreen, maintaining their foliage throughout the year, while deciduous plants shed their leaves during the colder months. Combining both types can create a dynamic and visually appealing garden.
Choose autumn colour with flowering plants
As for flowering and non-flowering plants, consider a mix of both to add variety and interest to your garden. Flowering plants, like chrysanthemums and sedums, offer a burst of colour, while non-flowering plants, such as ornamental grasses and Japanese maples, contribute texture and structure.
Buy autumn garden plants at Elmwood Nursery & Garden Centre
When you're ready to purchase your autumn garden plants, Elmwood Nursery & Garden Centre is here to assist you. Our knowledgeable staff can help you choose the right plants for your specific garden conditions and offer tips on planting and care. With our wide selection of autumn garden plants, you can create a stunning and vibrant garden that celebrates the beauty of the season. So, visit us today and let your autumn garden flourish with Elmwood's top-quality selections. Happy gardening!