Many gardeners believe that the growing season comes to an end with the arrival of winter. However, at Elmwood Nursery & Garden Centre, we're here to dispel that myth. With a little planning and the right selection of vegetables, you can enjoy a thriving winter kitchen garden. In this blog, we'll explore some of the vegetables that thrive in the winter, suggest what to grow, and even provide you with a delicious winter recipe using homegrown produce.
What to Grow in Your Winter Kitchen Garden
- Winter Kale (Brassica oleracea var. acephala): Winter kale is a hardy and nutritious leafy green that can withstand frost. Varieties like 'Nero di Toscana' and 'Winterbor' are excellent choices. They can be harvested all winter long and are perfect for soups, salads, and sautés.
- Carrots (Daucus carota): Carrots are a versatile winter vegetable. Plant them in late summer, and you can continue to harvest them throughout the winter months. The cool weather enhances their sweet flavour, making them an ideal addition to stews and roasts.
- Leeks (Allium ampeloprasum): Leeks are incredibly hardy and can be left in the ground throughout the winter. Their mild onion flavour adds depth to soups and casseroles.
- Winter Spinach (Spinacia oleracea): Varieties like 'Perpetual Spinach' and 'Winter Bloomsdale' can provide a steady supply of fresh greens throughout the colder months. Use them in salads, sandwiches, or stir-fries.
- Brussels Sprouts (Brassica oleracea var. gemmifera): Brussels sprouts are a classic winter vegetable. They become sweeter after a frost and are perfect for roasting, sautéing, or adding to hearty winter dishes.
Recipe: Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley
- 2 cups of winter kale, chopped
- 2 cups of Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 cups of carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup of leeks, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the kale, Brussels sprouts, carrots, leeks, and minced garlic.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and toss them until they are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with dried thyme, salt, and pepper, and toss again.
- Spread the vegetable mixture in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized, stirring once or twice during the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and serve as a delicious side dish or add your favourite protein source for a hearty meal.
Bountiful Harvests in Your Winter Kitchen Garden
With Elmwood Nursery & Garden Centre's selection of winter vegetables, you can create a thriving kitchen garden that will provide you with fresh, homegrown produce throughout the winter months. Don't let the cold weather deter you from enjoying the pleasures of gardening and cooking. Embrace the winter season, cultivate your garden, and savour the rich, satisfying flavours of your homegrown vegetables in delightful dishes like the Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley. Your winter kitchen garden will not only nourish your body but also your soul. Happy gardening and bon appétit!